When it comes to deterring intruders, preparedness is key. We asked the Miami Police Department for their tips on keeping your home safe and secure this summer.
To Keep Your Home Secure:
- Keep shrubbery around entrances and walkways trimmed.
- Install motion sensor lighting around the outside of your home.
- Keep all doors, windows, fences, gates and garage doors locked.
- Put timers on the inside lights of the residence.
To Vacation Safely:
- Don’t advertise when leaving on vacation.
- Install a home security system.
- Have outdoor security lights put in.
- Simulate home presence by installing timers on certain lights inside the residence.
- Suspend mail and newspaper delivery while on vacation.
To Protect Valuables:
- Stow expensive items like grills, cars, and bikes in the garage.
- Use curtains on windows to conceal the interior of the residence.
- Keep all doors and gates locked.
- Secure valuables in a home safe or lockbox.
- Get to know your neighbors.